Home break-ins and burglaries aren’t nearly as frequent as TV shows and even news updates can make them seem, but it’s still a good idea to protect your home to prevent them as much as you reasonably can. Plenty of people are afraid their homes will be broken into, but they don’t actually take action to prevent this from happening. There are plenty of practical, easy ways to make your home less vulnerable to burglars. Here are our top tips from the security experts at Curley's Key Shop.
- When you’re not at home, make your home look occupied. Leave the lights on whenever you go out. Even just one or two lights will make a difference. Consider investing in some timers so your lights will be off during the day and on in the evening.
- Before you go to bed, make sure all your doors and windows are locked.
- Make sure your garage door is always closed and locked when not in use.
- Don’t allow mail to build up if you go on vacation. Arrange with the Post Office to hold your mail or enlist the help of a friend to collect mail each day.
- Don’t store valuables outside. Lawn mowers, BBQs, and bicycles are best stored in the garage or somewhere else out of sight.
- If your garage door has windows, get curtains so it won’t be tempting for thieves to break into.
- Invest in a motion sensor for exterior lighting to discourage intruders.
- Check the locks on your doors and windows and replace them with secure locks as frequently as necessary.
- Don’t bother getting pushbutton locks – they’re so easy for burglars to open. Install deadbolt locks on all your outside doors for much better protection.
- Got a sliding glass door? Make sure it has a special lock on it that will make it harder for thieves to break into.
- Anytime you move into a new home, make sure you change the locks. You never know who has key copies, so it’s much better to spend a few dollars changing the locks then always be wondering about who might have access to your home.
- If you lose your keys or they get stolen, be sure you change your locks immediately. Don’t procrastinate!
You may also be wondering how you can prevent your car from being broken into. Here are our expert automotive security tips:
- Don’t leave valuables in plain view. Store or take them with you. That includes GPS devices, laptops, cell phones, wallets, purses, etc.
- Don’t leave windows or sunroof open when exiting your vehicle.
- Never leave the keys in your vehicle or the doors unlocked – even for “just a minute.”
- Don’t leave the garage door opener in plain view.
Here for all your security needs
Are you interested in boosting the security of your home and vehicle? Enlist the expertise of Curley's Key Shop. We’ll gladly provide you with personalized recommendations for all your security needs – residential, automotive, and commercial as well. Stop by our store at 306 E. Monterey Ave. Pomona, CA 91767 or request an appointment today by calling 909-622-6716.